One of the nicest things to offer on hot summer days and evenings. This sour sweet soup served cold as an appetizer or starter. It is made of sour cherries, morello cherries and not the sweet cherry variety. The sour cherry season is short and sweet at the end of June beginning of July. To my delight I was in Hungary and made the most out of our cherry tree at home.
1 kg sour cherry, pitted
200ml single cream
2 slices of lemon with rind on
1 tablespoon of sugar
pinch of cinamon
small pinch of salt
1 dessertspoon of flour
1 dessertspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
How to make
- Cover the pitted cherries with the water
- Add the sugar, 2 lemon slices, cinnamon, little salt and the vanilla extract if using
- Bring to the boil and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Mix the the flour with a little cream and gradually add the rest of the cream to get a smooth consistency
- Slowly pour the cream and flour mixture into the soup while stirring
- Let it heat back up to boiling point then simmer for half a minute or so till the soup slightly thickens, no need to boil now.
- Discard the lemon slices as the rind can get a bit bitter if left in there too long
- Let the soup cool completely and refrigerate, best if chilled overnight and served completely cold the next day.