This is one of the layered vegetable dishes a good way to use a head or two of cauliflowers and turn them into a tasty family dinner. I used minced beef but can use pork, turkey or even chicken.
Ingredients – 4 servings
- 500 g (1lb 1.6oz) minced beef (or can be some other meat)
- 2 small heads of cauliflower
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced, pressed, finely chopped
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 125 g (4.5oz, 3/4 cup) uncooked white rice
- salt, pepper
- 3-4 tbsp grated cheese – or to taste
- 300 ml (1 1/4 cup) sour cream
- Cut the cauliflowers into small florets and cook in salted water until just tender
- Cook the rice, best if leave it a bit al-dente with still a bit of bite retained, but it has to be nearly done not too hard.
- Saute the onion on a little oil, add the garlic, minced meat cook and stir to seal the meat a bit, add the paprika, then a splash of water just enough to prevent it burning and cook till the meat is ready.
- Combine the cooked meat with the rice. Now we are ready to do the fun part, the layering.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 °C (350 °F)
- Cover the bottom of your dish with a little sour cream, and put a layer of cauliflower down, follow with the meat and rice mixture and cover with another layer of cauliflower.
- Get your sour cream, spread it on top of the dish to cover evenly, sprinkle the grated cheese on.
- Cook in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until golden.
- Serve with salads or pickles, gherkins and some extra sour cream on top.