Another morello cherry summer recipe following my earlier post on the chilled sour cherry soup.
200g butter at room temperature
250g caster sugar (150g for the dough, 100g to sprinkle the cherries with)
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 medium eggs
800g morello cherries
100g breadcrumbs, home made from dried bread
small pinch of salt
How to make
- Beat the butter and the 150g sugar and a tiny little salt together till white and fluffy, best to use an electric mixer.
- Add the two eggs and beat till well combined
- Work in the flour, this should result in a soft dough so knead it with hand
- Set aside 1/3 of the dough and roll out the remaining 2/3 to line a medium sized baking tray
- Sprinkle with half of the breadcrumbs
- place the pitted cherries next and evenly distribute
- Sprinkle the cherries with the rest of the sugar, then the breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs are there to stop the cake getting too soggy.
- Roll the rest of the dough into pencil thick long pieces and create the lace pattern on top by laying them in a cross pattern.
- Bake in a preheated 200C oven for 20-25 minutes till slightly golden and cooked through.
Let it cool in the tray, could be served warm or cold.