Rizi bizi is made with rice and peas and usually served as a side dish with meat such as roast chicken, breaded veal or various stews. It is much loved in Hungary but originates from Venice. The Italian call it “Risi e Bisi” which is a green pea creamy risotto. The Hungarian rizi bizi is considerably drier, it is some nicely cooked rice with peas, nevertheless tasty!
Ingredients (2 servings)
1 cup of rice
2 cups of water
1 cup of frozen peas (or fresh peas if got it)
2 tablespoons of oil
1 level teaspoon of salt
1 small onion, finely chopped (optional)
2 tablespoons of coarsely chopped parsley leaves
How to make
- Heat the oil and saute the finely chopped onion, adding the onion gives extra flavour to the rice but the dish can be made without it
- Pour in the rice, stir on the heat for half a minute or so, making sure all the grains are covered in oil
- Add the water, always twice the amount of the rice, in this case 2 cups
- Season with the level teaspoon of salt
- Bring to the boil and cook for about 5 minutes on a gentle simmering heat
- The rice only needs to be stirred once, too much moving about can break up the grains and make the rice too sticky. Add the frozen peas, cover and bring to a simmering point again.
- Leave it undisturbed on a gentle heat for a further 10 minutes. The rice needs to cook for about 15 minutes altogether. When time is up take the pan off the heat and leave it covered for a few minutes or till serving.
- Fluff it up with a fork and fold around the peas layer on top to be distributed evenly all over the rice.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley just before serving.