I was looking forward to making dish because can’t remember the last time I ate this popular Hungarian roast with the obligatory braised red cabbage. Duck legs make a very fine roast, as I just re-discovered myself. Crunchy, juicy and meltingly-textury, nothing like other meats I tasted. The smell in my kitchen with the fruity red cabbage, gamey roast duck and caramelised onion potatoes would put a smile on my face while thinking of dinner parties, champagne and laughter for some reason!
Ingredients for the duck, 4 portions:
- 4 duck legs
- salt, pepper
- 4 small apples peeled, cored and sliced into chunks
- 100ml water
How to make:
- Wash the duck legs and pat-dry with a towel
- Score lines onto the fatty part of the skin with a sharp knife carefully not to cut into the flesh
- Rub salt and pepper into the legs
- Place the meat with the apples in a higher walled roasting tray, add 100ml of water, cover with tin foil and cook till tender for about 1.5 – 2 hours on 160ºC
- Take off the tin foil, raise the temperature to 200C and cook till the skin looks nicely roasted, baste with the cooking liquid/fat from the dish.
Serve with braised red cabbage and caramelised onion potatoes.