This dreamy lemon dessert has the consistency of tiramisu and is made with only a few store cupboard/fridge ingredients. For best result make a day ahead of serving.
This may not have been the go to sweet course of our Hungarian ancestors but became popular in recent times, not surprisingly one of the main ingredients is sour cream, it is also easy to make and delicious.
- 300 ml [1¼ cups] heavy whipping or (US) heavy cream, chilled
- 300 [1¼ cups] ml soured cream or crème fraîche, minimum 20% fat
- 10-12 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- 3 – 4 unwaxed lemons (you will need the zest of 1 lemon from these)
- 400 gram [14 ounces] sponge fingers
- splash of orange liquor, dessert wine or alcohol of your choice (optional).
- Whisk the chilled whipping/heavy cream with half the powdered sugar in a glass or stainless steel bowl until soft peaks form. The cream will whip up faster if your bowl and beaters are chilled as well. Place in the fridge until use.
- In a separate larger bowl of any kind combine the soured cream with the rest of the sugar and the juice of 3-4 lemons depending on the size of lemons and your taste.
- Fold the previously made whipped cream into the sour cream mixture.
- Grate the zest of an unwaxed lemon and carefully combine with the lemon cream-mix.
- Line the bottom of a 22 cm / 8½ inch square glass dish with a layer of sponge fingers.
- Drizzle the sponge fingers with a little liqueur or alcohol of your choice if using.
- Spread half of the lemon cream mixture on top of the layer of sponge fingers.
- Repeat with another layer of sponge fingers, drizzle with alcohol if using then top with the remaining mixture.
- Cover the dish with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight. The cream is a bit runny at this stage, but will set during the resting time.
- When ready to serve, decorate with lemon slices, also nice dotted with raspberries in the summer or sprinkle with roughly shopped pistachio nuts in winter.