These scones are fluffy and light and make a pretty good party snack or weekend treat. The recipe could be extended or changed easily, could use extra sliced olives, chopped herbs, maybe finely chopped sun dried tomatoes for a Mediterranean feel.
Ingredients (makes about 40 small scones):
- 600 gram (5 cups) all purpose/white flour
- 250 gram ( 2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 50 gram fresh yeast (or dry equivalent, usually 2 x 7g sachets but check the brand you are using)
- 1 level tablespoon of baking powder
- 200 ml ( ~0.8 cup) milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg for glazing
- 200 gram (~ 7 oz) medium hard cheese, cheddar, emmental, grated
- 1 level tablespoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
How to make:
- Finely great the cheese.
- Heat the milk until it is just lookwarm, add a teaspoon of sugar then crumble in the fresh yeast, or pour in the dried yeast and set aside. If using fast acting dry yeast you can skip this step and mix all ingredients for the dough together.
- Rub the flour and butter by hand to get to a crumble consistency
- Add the salt and baking powder, egg yolks and the sugary milk with the yeast which should start to bubble by now.
- Work in half of your grated cheese. Knead the dough until it comes away from the side of the dish, becomes springy instead of sticky. You can also knead it on any clean flat surface dusted with flour. This should take about 10-15 minutes of kneading
- Leave it to rest in a warm place for 20-30 minutes, it will rise and double in size.
- Switch on oven to 200C degrees to preheat.
- On a floured surface roll it to 2cm thickness than fold it from the sides to the middle than in half and roll it again. This will make our scone nice and layered. Leave it to rest for about 10 minutes
- Beat one egg and with a brush give the rolled out dough an egg wash.
- Sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese and with a round cookie cutter cut out the individual scones.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper or lightly grease with butter and dust with flour. Place the scones on the the tray and bake on the middle shelf at 200C degrees for 25 minutes.
- Place the scones on a plate and let them cool, best served fresh on the day.