Two basic ingredients, pasta and cabbage flavoured with a bit of caramelised sugar and freshly ground black pepper with a delicious result. The flat square-shaped pasta is quite an authentic version but any pasta shape will do. I broke up some lasagna sheets here with good result.
- 1 head of white cabbage
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1tsp salt
- 3tbsp sunflower oil
- flat pasta shapes
- Quarter and grate the cabbage, discard the hard core.
- Sprinkle with a bit of salt, 2 teaspoons would be enough, combine and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Melt the sugar in the oil, when just starting to brown add the grated cabbage with the excess liquid squeezed out by hand.
- Cook the cabbage on moderate heat, watching and stirring until light brown in colour.
- Cook the pasta, according to packet instructions, then drain.
- Combine the pasta with the cabbage.
- Serve with lots of freshly ground black pepper on top.