Ingredients (4 people)
- 450 gram beef, braising steak, diced to 1 inch (2 cm) cubes
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, cut into disks
- 1 medium parsnip, cut into disks
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2-3 medium potato (500gram) diced
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 green pepper
- 1 ripe, red tomato, diced or a tablespoon of tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons of Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds
- salt, freshly milled pepper to taste
- chopped chillies, parsley to garnish – optional
- home made “csipetke” noodles
Ingredients for the noodles:
- 100 gram white flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
How to make
- Heat the oil and fry the beef chunks in batches till browned all over – set the meat aside on a plate
- Fry the onion till lightly cooked in the same pan
- Add the crushed garlic and the seared meat and stir around on the heat
- Sprinkle with the paprika, mix it around, careful the paprika burns easily, temporarily remove from the heat if too hot.
- Pour in the stock or water
- Add the remaining ingredients, chopped tomato, sliced pepper, caraway seeds, salt, pepper
- Cover and cook at a gentle simmering point for an hour add the carrot, parsley and diced potatoes and cook for another half an hour till the meat is tender and the vegetables are cooked.
- For the noodles knead the flour egg and salt together to get a hard dough
- Pinch off small pieces dropping them into the boiling goulash soup. Cook for 10 minutes and serve.
- If like hot spicy food, could garnish with chopped chillies, sprinkle with a little finely chopped parsley and serve with some good crusty bread.