- 50g goose fat (can substitute with butter or oil if prefer)
- 600-800g potatoes, peeled and diced to medium chunks
- 1 large onion or 2 medium one.
- 1 teaspoon of sugar (I used icing sugar)
- salt, freshly gound black pepper
How to make:
- Cook the potatoes, till tender in salted water.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a frying pan fry the finely diced onions in the fat on medium heat. Aim to get caramel colour, when the onions are well cooked sprinkle a teaspoon of sugar on them and fry together – this will help the colour.
- Once the potatoes cooked, strain well. With a potato masher break them up a little, it literally needs 1-2 hits, so we have some mashed parts amongst the whole chunks.
- Add the “semi-mashed”potato to the onion mix and fry together a few more minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning, dust with freshly ground black pepper