An easy-peasy healthy little dish, very popular as an everyday main course that only takes a few minutes to prepare. Makes a nourishing vegetarian meal on its own, goes well with fried or boiled eggs, or could be served with some meat like fasirozott, meat stews as a topping or grilled frankfurters on the side.
Ingredients for 2 portions
3 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
450 g green peas, frozen or fresh
450 ml water
4 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt – or to taste
1 chicken or vegetable stock cube
few springs of fresh parsley
freshly milled black pepper (optional)
For the roux
4 teaspoon of white flour
120 ml semi skimmed milk
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the peas frozen or fresh and fry-cook for a few minutes till well coated.
- Pour water over it till it just covered
- Add the salt, sugar, crumble in the stock cube and cook till the peas are done
- add the milk to the flour gradually and stir till get a smooth consistency
- Slowly pour the flour and milk mixture into the boiling pea stew, stir till it thickens.
- Finally add the finely chopped parsley leaves, a bit of black pepper if using and serve