Perfect side dish for roast meats especially roast duck and goose. The taste is subtle with a lot going on from the caramelised sugar, little vinegar, spices and a bit of salt. Red cabbage is called “purple cabbage” in Hungarian which seems fitting – apart from tasty as it is very pretty purple indeed.
- 1 small red cabbage
- 150g butter
- 150g granulated sugar
- 150ml apple cider vinegar
- pinch of cinnamon powder
- pinch of grounded cloves
- 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds
- salt, pepper
How to make:
- Quarter the cabbage – this makes easy to remove the tough white core – and cut the thinner leaves into long strips.
- Melt the butter in a large pan, add the sugar and cook till the sugar melts and starts to brown.
- Pur in the vinegar, the caramel will solidify suddenly, stir continuously till it melts again.
- Add the cabbage strips, the thinly sliced apples, a little salt and pepper
- Stir thoroughly and cook till the cabbage is tender
Tip: Cook 2 small apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced with the cabbage, for an extra fruity taste.