Another sour cherry summer recipe following my earlier post on the chilled sour cherry soup.
- 800 gram (~1.8lb) sour cherries
- 200 gram (7 oz) pastry/plain flour
- 200 gram (1.7 stick) butter at room temperature
- 2 medium eggs
- 250 gram caster sugar (8.8 oz) (150g for the dough, 100g to sprinkle the cherries with)
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 100 gram (3.5 oz) breadcrumbs, ideally home made from dried bread
- a pinch of salt
How to make
- In preparation wash and pit the cherries, set aside in a colander to drip as much of the liquid out as possible
- Beat the butter and the 150 gram sugar with the little salt together until white and fluffy, best to use an electric mixer.
- Add the two eggs and combine well, beating them together for a while
- Mix the baking powder with the flour evenly, then gradually combine with the sugary egg and butter. This should result in a soft dough, switch to kneading it by hand.
- Set aside 1/3 of the dough for the lattice top and roll out the remaining 2/3 to line a medium sized baking tray (about 34.5 cm x 24.4 cm – or – 13.5” x 9.6”)
- Sprinkle the rolled out dough with half of the breadcrumbs
- Lightly squeeze the pitted cherries to drain the juices and place and evenly distribute on top of the dough and breadcrumbs
- Sprinkle the cherries with the rest of the sugar, then the other half of the breadcrumbs. The breadcrumbs are there to stop the cake getting too soggy.
- Roll the rest of the dough into pencil thick long pieces and create the lace pattern on top by laying them in a cross pattern.
- Bake in a preheated 180°C (350°F) oven for 25-30 minutes till slightly golden and cooked through.
Let it cool in the tray, could be served warm or cold.